Joyce E. Smith
Engagement Director & Founding Member
How Joyce Can Help
- Facilitation of strategy development with linkage to tactical execution plans
- Conduct market and voice of the customer analytics to identify growth opportunities
- Provide analytics to deliver solutions and optimize financial performance
- Performance measurement system development
- Lean Master Black Belt, Six Sigma Management Institute/AT&T
- Intrinsic Value Analysis Lead, Textron Fastening Systems
- Global Director Financial Planning & Analysis, Textron Fastening Systems
- Sales Consultant-Data Warehousing, Analytical Applications & CRM, Oracle
- Manager Financial Planning & Analysis, TRW Vehicle Safety Systems
- MSM, Walsh College
- BBA, University of Redlands
- Certified Master Black Belt, Datazinc
- Cost of Poor Quality Identification and Elimination
- Tribal Knowledge Conversion into Company Property
- Voice of the Customer Surveys & Analytics
- Strategic deployment of Lean Six Sigma and Design for Six Sigma
- Executive coaching and mentoring
- Reduced quote initiation time by 50% to improve throughput and hit rate potential by $9M
- Enhanced usage of Hyperion Enterprise to reduce monthly close process by 20%
- Led successful Design for Six Sigma/Quality by Design integration pilot
- Mentored/led $40M in LSS telecom projects
Joyce is an experienced consultant based in Southeast Michigan.
She’s a certified Master Black Belt who delivers results for customers with her background in finance, strategic planning and strategic software sales. Joyce has extensive experience in streamlining transactional processes in the automotive, telecommunications and healthcare industries.
As Global Financial Planning & Analysis Director for the fasteners division of Textron, Joyce headed up the annual and strategic planning process. She also led the financial close process for the $1.9B segment which was comprised of 60 locations, spanning 8 countries and 12 legal entities. It was at Textron that Joyce first became involved with Six Sigma in 2002 as the global Textron financial expert for tracking project financial benefits back to the bottom line.
Textron’s transformation philosophy entailed training a vertical “slice” of the organization to hasten the institutionalization of Lean Six Sigma principles. Shortly after the program began taking root, and while serving the role Global Director of Financial Planning and Analysis, Joyce was approached by the VP of Six Sigma to join their team. In her new role as a Black Belt, Joyce was selected to lead the divisions’ intrinsic value management study to identify internal and external business levers to drive enhanced EPS.
This experience led Joyce to obtain her Master Black Belt certification and join Datazinc, LLC and Six Sigma Management Institute as a Lead Master Black Belt consultant in support of the AT&T’s Lean Six Sigma deployment.
During her 7.5 year consulting engagement with AT&T, Joyce trained, mentored and certified 23 Black Belts and 2 Master Black Belts and delivered over $40M to the deployments’ $2B in financial benefits. She also led project pipeline development, Champion, Black Belt, Green Belt and Lean training for AT&T.
Joyce’s expertise was leveraged across multiple business units including, maintenance, service delivery, billing, human resources, internal communications, and customer service/call center environments. Her final assignment resulted in the successful proof of concept – including the integration of Quality by Design methods into the Ideation phase of AT&T’s new product realization process. Those efforts established a clearly defined project scope based on customer requirements.
Most recently, Joyce has been engaged as a healthcare practice Lean coach to capture tribal knowledge and improve profitability while exceeding patient quality care expectations. Additionally, Joyce is a Lean Six Sigma instructor through a partnership with Datazinc, LLC and St. Clair College Corporate and Professional Training program, at the Windsor, Ontario Campus.