Engagement Director & Founding Member
How Jeff Can Help
- Align technology with product direction/needs
- Provide strategic and business planning experience
- Define path for technology assessment
- Lead technology assessment
- Provide thought leadership
- Executive Director, Network Applications – SBC Labs
- Executive Director, Voice/Video/Applications Product and Platform Integration – SBC Operations
- Executive Director, Services and Platform Planning – AT&T Labs
- BS in Applied Mathematics/Systems Engineering, University of Tulsa
- Institute for Managerial Leadership 9 month graduate seminar, University of Texas
- Experience working with new technologies and early service incubation
- Knowledgeable in diverse telephony network architectures applicable to: VoIP, PSTN, Internet, cellular, switching, transmission, and packet data
- Knowledgeable in technical and regulatory network issues
- Experienced in network planning including analysis of technical requirements, market demands, and engineering economy
- Experienced in developing international bid proposals– specifically cellular bids
- Strong analytical skills with a good sense of business drivers
- Strategic and business planning experience
- Lead SBC technical vendor selection on DIAX cellular bid win in Switzerland
- Led SBC/AT&T in the incubation, service definition, and development of the first Voice over IP (VoIP) service
- Led a team of service innovators helping defining an internal Venture Capital approach to new service concepts – an internally developed system has produced numerous new service concepts for AT&T
Technology executive Jeff Johnson comes to Globulus with 34+ years of telecommunications technical and management expertise.
Jeff worked across the entire network spectrum at SBC/AT&T on both wireline and wireless technology. He also led international technical teams on cellular bids and M&A activity.
He has strong analytical, service and innovation skills – and can apply these skills to companies seeking new technology directions. Jeff works very well across organizations and has a talent for simplifying technology for other organizations to help them solve their product evolution needs.
In Jeff’s most recent Executive Director position at AT&T Labs, he managed a team of technical professionals responsible for Consumer and Mobile IP services and associated platform planning. The team was charged with identifying, incubating, planning, and designing advanced voice, video, text, and data services.
Jeff’s work efforts also included following competitive and technology trends to help AT&T keep pace with the industry. Jeff tracked and interacted with technology incubators to seek new service concepts and introduce them to AT&T business units for consideration. His work also included lab prototyping of early service concepts for key internal and external clients. Jeff also enabled interworking efforts between AT&T Marketing and outside vendors to provide potential solutions
Prior to his position at AT&T Labs, Jeff joined an SBC Strategic Operations team. He represented SBC Network on a small team of individual contributors charged with planning key technologies applicable to SBC and its various subsidiaries. He introduced key technical initiatives to senior management and suggested courses of action to ensure synchronized direction within SBC Corporation. Jeff and the rest of the team coordinated initiatives across Network, Marketing and IT departments to ensure common direction.
During this same period, Jeff acted as merger coordination point for AT&T Labs during the SBC-BellSouth merger, with a dotted line report structure to the AT&T Labs President. Jeff’s organization and documentation skills led to a key to a successful merger integration with BellSouth
Jeff has also worked on international cellular bids as the technical team lead. Projects included efforts in Korea, Brazil, Israel, Switzerland, and other numerous international cellular bid/M&A activities. Jeff’s responsibilities included technical planning, design, and vendor equipment evaluation. He also developed detailed cost models and implementation timelines.
Jeff earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Applied Mathematics from the University of Tulsa. He has completed a number of management educations courses including nine month graduate seminar from The University of Texas Institute for Managerial Leadership.